That’s what I wanted to tell the person who posted a meme on Facebook from a website run by a certain political group.
It said that once Trump is impeached we MUST reverse all Trump legislation, executive orders and appointments so we can return to a pre-Trump state and that we “must erase this traitor from out past.”
Only a person totally ignorant of the U.S. Constitution and the way the government works would believe such twaddle. I would ask, “What Trump legislation?” and “What Trump appointments?” Has this person ever read the Constitution? Has anybody who believes this fiddle-faddle ever read the Constitution? Do the people who make up this stuff up think we are stupid? Obviously they do because so many people swallow it without question The President has only limited powers under the Constitution.
1) President Trump only SIGNED legislation that CONGRESS PASSED.
2) Executive orders require no approval from Congress. They are directives from the President that have much of the same power as a federal law, but they can be blocked by Congress or declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. You can view President Trump’s Executive Orders in the Federal Register and decide for yourself which ones, if any, ought to be reversed. 2018 2019
3) HIS APPOINTMENTS HAVE TO BE APPROVED BY CONGRESS.
During his first year in office President Trump signed 117 bills into law. The following is a just small fragment of those bills that the meme says need to be repealed. THESE LAWS WERE PASSED BY A DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS. They were NOT mandated by President Trump...he has no authority to do that.
* Elder Abuse Prevention and Prosecution Act-establishes requirements for the Department of Justice with respect to investigating and prosecuting elder abuse crimes and enforcing elder abuse laws.
* Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act-levies new sanctions against Russia and restricts Trump's ability to ease sanctions in place against Moscow. He was opposed to it, but signed it anyway.
* Department of Veterans Affairs Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act of 2017- gives the agency's leaders the ability to fire inept employees and protect those who uncover and report wrongdoing at the VA
* Western Oregon Tribal Fairness Act- requires that 17,519 acres of land be held in trust for, and be part of the reservation of, the Cow Creek Band of Umpqua Tribe of Indians
* SAFER Act of 2017-This law aims to continues to reduce the rape kit backlog and makes technical changes to the DNA Sexual Assault Justice Act of 2004.
* Jobs for Our Heroes Act-makes it easier for veterans to apply for commercial drivers licenses.
* United States Fire Administration, AFG, and SAFER Program Reauthorization Act of 2017-reauthorizes and expands certain grant programs for firefighters.
* Combating Human Trafficking in Commercial Vehicles Act-designates a "human trafficking prevention coordinator" and include human trafficking prevention activities.
* Indian Employment, Training and Related Services Consolidation Act of 2017-provides for the integration of employment, training, and related services programs for Indian tribes
* VALOR Act-expands access to apprenticeship programs for veterans.
* Veterans' Compensation Cost-of-Living Adjustment Act of 2017-increases veterans' wartime disability compensation, additional compensation for dependents, the clothing allowance for certain disabled veterans, and dependency and indemnity compensation for surviving spouses and children.
* PROTECT Our Children Act of 2017-reauthorizes the National Internet Crimes Against Children Data System and the National Strategy for Child Exploitation Prevention and Interdiction through year 2022.
* Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Act of 2017-amends the Public Health Service Act to revise programs for deaf and hard-of-hearing newborns and infants, including to expand the programs to include young children.
* Follow the Rules Act-protects federal employees from retaliation for refusing to violate a federal rule or regulation. It expands upon the protections of the Whistleblower Protection Act of 1987, which shields employees from backlash for refusing an order to violate federal law.
* Frederick Douglass Bicentennial Commission Act-creates the Frederick Douglass Bicentennial Commission to plan, develop, and carry out programs and activities to honor Frederick Douglass for the bicentennial anniversary of his birth.
I could go on and on, but I am tired of typing. President Trump's personality grates on a lot of people, but the point is if he signed it into law or made the appointment, Congress approved it. As for those Executive Orders, Congress can, if they wanted to, get around them by simply passing a law and then overriding the President's veto, or simply refusing to provide the funds to carry out the Order.